Hiking With Chiropractic Can Improve Your Health
No matter what season it is, it’s always a great time to get outside and get active as long as the weather cooperates. That is why many people find Fall to be the best season to hike. The air is crisp, and the leaves are changing color; what a wonderful sight to experience first-hand. Getting outdoors to hike is a great way to enjoy nature while reaping some fantastic health benefits in the process.
Benefits of Hiking
- Improved blood pressure and decreased cardiovascular issues
- Improved bone density resulting in less osteoporosis
- Weight management
- Improved core strength, mood, and balance.
- Decreased anxiety and stress.
Add Chiropractic to Hiking for a Better Life
Incorporating regular chiropractic care into your life helps keep everything working as it should. First, from a musculoskeletal perspective. While hiking, your spine and hips absorb a lot of force from the pounding of walking on trails and over obstacles. The spine and hips can only properly absorb this repetitive force if there are proper alignment and proper biomechanics. If spinal mechanics or alignment are compromised, then the repetitive forces from hiking can damage the joints of the hips or the spine.
This will not only get in the way of your ability to hike and enjoy the outdoors, but it will eventually get in the way of your life experience.
Unfortunately, you may not know that you have an unbalanced and misaligned spine or hips until it is too late.
Symptoms, like pain, are not a warning sign that damage WILL happen, symptoms are a warning sign that damage HAS occurred.
The other benefit of chiropractic care relates to the nervous system. 90% of the central nervous system travels through your spine. Therefore, a spinal alignment will either allow for proper nerve flow or spinal misalignment will interfere with proper nerve flow. When a spinal misalignment interferes with correct nerve flow, this is commonly known as a Vertebral Subluxation.
When Vertebral Subluxations are present, the body cannot function optimally. Depending on the location of the disruption of nerve flow, a Vertebral Subluxation can affect heart function, lung function, digestive function, and even hormonal balance, to name a few. Chiropractic keeps the nervous system free of interference.
Benefits of Chiropractic Care
- Increased mobility
- Increased stamina
- Increased hand-eye-foot coordination and balance
- Improved overall function
- Decreased soreness and injury
- Decreased healing time from injury
Tips for a Great Hike
- A good warm-up before your hike will improve your performance on the trail and reduce your risk of injury. You will get more enjoyment from your hike.
- Choosing the right shoes will significantly improve your hike. Look for supportive footwear, good arches (you have three arches, not just one), and shoes that have plenty of room for your toes.
- Don’t overdo it. Know your limitations. As with any exercise, start easy and work your way up to the more challenging trails.
- If balance is an issue (or even if it’s not), you may want to add poles. They can help keep you balanced but do double duty by providing a great upper body workout.
At Auger Family Chiropractic, we want our patients to experience a better life on and off the trail. Our focus is on spinal and pelvic alignment and how that alignment affects the function of the nervous system. Dr. Auger will perform a thorough spine and nervous system analysis to see if any misalignments exist that are compromising nerve function (i.e., Vertebral Subluxations). If Vertebral Subluxations are detected, then we can help you enjoy and get more benefit out of your hike. Schedule an appointment today!